About the Author:
Jim Pulman has extensive knowledge and experience in Home Building, Construction, and Design. He writes articles in his free time and partners with content creators to share his expertise with the online community.
Having electricity at home is a must. It’ll be challenging for anyone to enjoy their investment if their homes don’t have electricity. Aside from affecting the value of the property, electricity can also impact the safety of the people living in it. However, for you to enjoy your home, it’s not enough that you install electrical wirings. Doing this will only do more harm than good. You’ll have to ensure that wirings are properly installed and be of good quality because faulty wirings can cause irreparable damage.
Outdated, poorly installed, or faulty wiring can be treacherous—home fires related to faulty wiring cause hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries every year. Additionally, home fires involving electrical malfunction destroy property worth billions every year. To prevent such accidents from happening, it is imperative to pay keen attention to faulty electrical wiring signs.
Here are wary signs of faulty electrical wiring.
Scorching or Discolored Outlets
If you notice scorching, strange colors, or any evidence of burning in outlets, that’s an indication that there are underlying electrical problems.
A burnt outlet is an indication that the wiring connected to the outlet is overheating. Also, the faceplate of the outlet may get distorted. The outlets may feel hot due to the heating up of wires. Hot electrical outlets are not something to take lightly. Typically, the wiring may get slightly warm, but it should not be too hot to the extent of damaging the outlet plate. If you notice such a problem in your house, it is advisable to stop using the outlet and call an electrician Brisbane.
Dimming or Flickering Lights
If your lights are dim or flickering, that’s an indication of faulty wiring. The problem may indicate that the lights are sharing power with an appliance that is consuming more power. Home appliances with heating or cooling elements tend to consume more electricity. If there is any appliance plugged on the same circuit, unplug it to see whether it’s the source of the problem.
Additionally, you can move the lights to another circuit to see if they work well. If the lights doesn’t work in a different circuit, try replacing the bulbs. If none of the changes resolve the problem, then the issues may be faulty wiring.
Frequent Blown Fuses
If the breaker keeps tripping or the fuse keeps blowing, that’s a sign of power issues. In most cases, such problems occur when the circuit is overloaded. If the wiring is installed in the right way, the fuse rarely blows under regular operation.
In a well-wired home, with supply from reliable providers, such as Reliant Energy, a breaker only trips when you plug an electricity hungry appliance. Appliances such as HVAC and dryers are wired on high power circuits to accommodate the demand.
Another reason that causes the breaker to trip is too many outlets extension cords on one circuit. However, this only happens when the circuit is overloaded. If the circuit is not overloaded, there may be a problem with the circuit.
There is no technical drawback of messy wiring. However, the organization of wires tells a lot about the competency of the electrician. An orderly electrician is likely to be careful when installing the wiring. Excessively messy wiring may indicate a shoddy job. If the electrician can afford to do such, there’s no telling what else could be messed up in the way the job was done. Maybe the wires aren’t adequately connected. Maybe the wires aren’t properly stapled. This could damage the wires in the long run.
Visibly Damaged Wiring
Don’t overlook minor wiring damages. Even if the damage is relatively small, it is prudent to fix it on time rather than risk potentially severe repercussions. The longer you leave these damaged wires unfixed, the more dangerous it can get. Some issues to look out for include bite marks on the wiring or frayed wire ends. Some pests have sharp teeth that can cause significant damage to your wiring.
If you notice strange burning smells in your house, chances are there is a serious problem with your wiring. Such burning wires can lead to fire accidents and thus should be probed and resolved quickly. You should not hesitate to call a qualified electrician to investigate and fix the issue as soon as possible.
If the problem is serious enough and there is smoke or clear burning on the sheath, you should manually trip the breaker before calling an electrician. It is wise not to ignore any unfamiliar smell from your wiring.
Though not common, faulty electrical wiring may produce strange sounds. In specific, buzzing sound is an indication of an electrical wiring issue. Proper functioning electrical wiring should not make recognizable noises.
Nonetheless, when a prong is loose or a wire is damaged, the current may trip, resulting in a buzzing noise. Sometimes you may hear your lights flicker even when you can’t see the issue. Buzzing noise is an indication of uneven flow of current.
If an outlet is moving around, it’s time to fix or replace it. A loose outlet will result in loose wiring, leading to sparks, electrical shorts, and fire hazards.
Once you notice any of the signs listed in this article, call an experienced electrician right away. Regardless of how minor you think the problem is, you should never fix it using DIY solutions. Fixing faulty electrical wirings requires skills and specific tools – and attempting to do the job without these can only put you and your home in danger.
Paying for electricians to fix your faulty electrical wiring is a cost-effective investment as you won’t have to exert any time and effort to ensure that you and your home remain safe. Electricians are experienced in identifying and fixing different problems that involve electrical wirings, so hiring them instead of repairing these problems on your own is always a better option.
How the electrical wirings in your home are installed is vital as this can affect the safety of your home and that of the people living in it. Once you notice that you have faulty electrical wiring, call professionals to have the problem fixed right away. You can enjoy your home longer if you know that the area is safe from any electrical malfunction.