Personal injury lawyer performs similar tasks to most litigators, they provide their services to those who have been incapacitated or harmed by the negligence of a person, company, government, doctor, they also specialize in monetary losses, breach of contract, property rights, etc, in many cases resulting in financial compensation that is needed to pay medical bills or debts.
Personal injury law practices in an area called tort law. Tort law deals in civil wrongdoing that makes the one who claims to have suffered, legal liability to the individual who commits the crime.
What Does A Injury Lawyer Do?
- He/She handles cases from the beginning through a plea
- Investigates claims and merit of the case
- Gather evidence, develop a hypothesis, and research
- Interviewing witnesses
Types Of Personal Injury Cases
Any injury be it physical or mental/psychological is considered to be a personal injury case.
Common types of cases:
- Injuries from an animal attack
- Automobile accidents
- Flight accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Injuries to the brain
- Burn wounds
- Construction tragedies
- Imperfect products
- Insurance/bad faith alleges
- Medical malpractice
- Motorcycle accidents
- Nursing home mishandling
- Pedestrian mishaps
- Slip and fall accidents
- Injuries to the spinal cord
- Wrongful demise
There are primarily three main methods that a personal injury lawyer can be paid with.
- Contingency fees: In this scenario, the lawyer only gets paid if the result of the case is in favor of the claimant, a portion of the settlement has to be paid to the attorney.
- Hourly rate: an average hourly rate in the US is $39-$49 per hour but can be raised higher if the lawyer has exceptional qualifications.
- Flat fees: fixed fee would have to be paid to the attorney whether the case closes quickly or take a prolonged time.
Primarily Responsibility Of Injury Lawyer.
After experiencing a personal injury, a person’s life can be left in jeopardy with medical bills and unemployment due to someone’s fault. The primary responsibility of the attorney would be to compensate as much as possible on the claimant behalf, the lawyer will go after any sort of physical, mental, and emotional injury that may have been caused, if the claimant has a strong case the attorney would try to take the case to trial, which might award claimant higher dollars. In fear of higher compensation, the insurance companies will even try to settle the matter out of the courts.
What To Consider Before Hiring One.
There are thousands of lawyer to choose from USA, key points to consider before hiring one:
- Is the attorney licensed?
- How much experience do they have for the type of claim?
- How many great online reviews do they have, or any personal reviews that can be found.
- Their specialization in the area of personal injury claims that are needed?
- Awards they have won?
- Their fee methods, Contingency fees, hourly or flat rate?
- Do they offer any free initial legal consultation?