Personal injuries are often a source of physical and emotional pain and suffering. Injuries, such as paraplegia and quadriplegia, are on the extreme end of physical suffering.
These injuries result from damage to the spinal cord and nerves, which results in paralysis to some degree. Most spinal cord injuries occur in car accidents.
Such an injury affects an individual’s quality of life, which robs them of having a social life, finding employment, finding a partner, and physical fitness.
- Paraplegic injuries result in paralysis in the lower part of the body, including one or both legs. Not only does it impaira person’s ability to walk, but it can also result in the malfunctioning of the physiological process. Bladder and bowel incontinence, sexual dysfunction, and chronic pain are some physical effects of the injury.
- Quadriplegia (also called tetraplegia) is another form of paralysis. It results in loss of movement and sensation in both legs and both arms. It is an extreme form of paralysis, which results in loss of control over the body’s functions. Loss of bowel and bladder control, sexual dysfunction, infections, and difficulty in breathing are ways that the injury affects a person. There are also two types of quadriplegia: high-level and low-level.
In both injuries, depression is a common mental health disorder that people face. Weight gain is also a problem that people suffering from such injuries face.
For more information visit: Paraplegic vs Quadriplegic, How Are They Different?
Table of Contents
How can a personal injury lawyer help you?
If you suffered from a personal injury due to someone else’s fault, you must be compensated for your ordeals. A personal injury lawyer can help you in various ways. These are as follow:
Determining the compensation amount
People suffering from paraplegia and quadriplegia require regular medical checkups. It can add up to medical bills. Moreover, many people suffering from these injuries also suffer from loss of employment opportunities. Apart from this, you also require a personal attendee or care provider to help you with daily chores. You cannot put an amount to the degree of emotional pain that you face. Despite this, professional personal injury lawyers take all these factors into account to determine the compensation you deserve.
- According to estimates from the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, the cost for paraplegia (for the first year) is $518,904. For subsequent years, the amount is $68,739 per year.
- The cost for the first year for low tetraplegia (quadriplegia) is $769,351. For subsequent years, the amount is $113,423 per year.
- The cost for the first year for high tetraplegia is $1,064,716. The cost of care for subsequent years, in this case, is $184,891.
These costs only include medical bills and living expenses. These amounts do not compensate for the loss of employment and emotional pain.
Also, keep in mind that these are only estimates.
Getting compensation for your injuries
The amount of compensation you receive depends on the nature of the accident and your age. Personal injury lawyers ensure that their client receives the rightful compensation. In addition to this, they ensure that their client is also compensated for the future.