More terrorist attacks occurred during Obama’s tenure than any other modern American presidency.
Election day is over. President-Elect Donald Trump’s transition process is underway. He’s determining key staff for his cabinet and priming America for the transition of power from Barack Obama.
Many questions linger about President-Elect Trump’s national security policies. Much of this concern centers on how he will deal with threats of terrorism.
Trump is inheriting a country that suffered the most terrorist attacks under a single president: Obama.
It’s Not Even Close.
During Obama’s tenure roughly 36 recorded terrorist attacks occurred on American soil. Many more attacks occurred that could reasonably be called terror.
Our analysis comes from multiple sources including Independent Journal Review and the Global Terrorism Index. We found that several attacks were both foreign and domestic acts of terror by extremist political, religious, or outlying groups.
Key attacks from the analysis include:
- The San Bernardino, CA, attacks on December 2, 2015, committed by radical Islamic terrorists Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. They killed 14.
- Robert Dear’s domestic, lone wolf attack on Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs, CO on November 27, 2015. Dear killed 3, including a police officer from a local college campus.
- The Fort Hood, TX shooting where disgraced Major Nidal Malik Hasan opened fire on fellow soldiers, killing 13.
- Boston Marathon Bombings in April 2013, committed by brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, killing 3.
- The Orlando, FL, attack on June 12, 2016. Omar Mateen killed 49 people at a gay nightclub.
The total death count from terrorist attacks on American soil under Obama’s tenure was 159 people. President George W. Bush’s total was 3,025, with the 9/11 attacks included. If you remove the 9/11 attacks Bush is left with a total of 29 people dead from terror attacks on American soil.
Less death occurred under Obama because there was not any major 9/11 style attack. More attacks occurred and more frequently under Obama than any earlier president.
Latest posts by Michael McGrady (see all)
- Israel, Russia: Obama Ending 2016 Being a Dick, As Usual - December 31, 2016
- The Welfare State: A Love Story - December 17, 2016
- North Korea During The Donald Trump Era - December 8, 2016